sunset chevron

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Where the Wind Blows


Last Sunday we had a really big windstorm blow through here in the middle of the night.  It woke both Andrew and I up a couple of times because the wind was so strong.  At about 2am we heard this horrible cracking/crashing sound and our whole house shook!  I jumped out of bed and Andrew was laying there saying, “What is going on?”  haha  Well we turned on our outside light and one of the big pine trees in our front yard had fallen onto our house!!  All we could see out of our porch were branches and more branches.
That morning we walked outside and saw exactly what had happened and what damage had been done to our house.
DSC_1305
DSC_1300
We were lucky that it didn’t crush our house.  I think what saved our house was the tip of this tree was resting on the branch of the tree on the other side of our house. 
DSC_1330
DSC_1350
Luckily the only damage that was done to the roof was it put a small dent above the door, bent some of the metal roofing, cracked some of the wood structure on the porch, and ripped off the rain gutter. 
After I got off work that day Andrew and I got to work cutting and clearing the tree from off our house.  It took trips to the dump with a trailer full and the bed of the truck full of limbs and branches.  We kept the trunk for firewood next winter (blessing in disguise haha now we don’t have to go cut any in the mountains somewhere, even though that is fun to do).
IMG_0857
IMG_0842
IMG_0837
Anywho, we got it all cleaned up and I am just praying that another wind storm doesn’t blow through because there are three other pine trees in front of our house…even though the biggest one fell on our house.  It’s always an adventure living out here that’s for sure. 

4 comments:

  1. I believe in miracles! I believe in prayers being answered! So glad you guys are ok. You'll have plenty of firewood, but I don't think this is the recommended way to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment out there...well, maybe, but not for too long! :) :) My favorite picture is Gus looking out the screened in porch. Funny I guessed what happened before you even told me...huh? Yeah, moms are smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys were okay. That is one big tree. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is Crazy! I love your House! You are one lucky girl to get to live there.

    ReplyDelete